This class is FREE! for folks in our community.
Email David@TheTreeist.com to confirm availability & enroll in the next available class!
- Trees offer valuable opportunities for recreation, meditation, fitness & more.
- Our mission is to help our community learn to safely climb & appreciate these beautiful structures.
- For these reasons, we believe tree climbing should be as ubiquitous as riding a bike.
What you will learn:
- How to safely climb trees of all shapes & sizes
- Modern climbing techniques that will apply to all aspects of outdoor adventure
- That trees provide fun & valuable recreation activities
- Opportunities to turn your new skill into a side business or help around the house (rescuing drones & cats, hanging tree swings & birdhouses, safely accessing roofs, etc.)
Videos for inspiration:
- The Treeist - YouTube channel for Treeist specific information & classes: Click Here
- You'll be safely in a tree hanging from a life-support harness within the first 30min of the first class!
- We start low to the ground & progress to greater heights once each participant feels comfortable doing so
- If you do not feel comfortable leaving the ground, we understand(!) & you will still learn valuable skills
- If you want to climb to the top of the tallest tree at our training facility, we will help you!
Where: The Treeist Training Facility
- This class is held OUTSIDE
What to Bring & Wear:
- Water & Snacks
- Closed toe shoes (ideally a hiking-type shoe that covers your ankle)
- Clothing that can move with you (fitness, yoga, hiking, workout, etc.)
Age & Ability Range:
- Classes designed for ages 15 and up
- Folks younger than 15 can attend the class with an adult that will help the child follow along in the class
- Tree climbing tends to work different muscles than other activities (good thing!)
- You'll likely have success in the class if you're able to get up from a seated position on the floor with 1 hand or less & can walk up a small flight of stairs with little to moderate fatigue
- Recreational tree climbing has an exceptional safety record, especially when new climbers are taught by a Tree Risk Assessment Qualified Arborist & Experienced Climber (Instructor David Ricks fulfills both of these requirements).
- Tree climbing related injuries are almost entirely associated with A.) the improper use of cutting tools while in the tree & B.) a lack of personal protective equipment
- We will not be using cutting tools
- We will be providing & using proper personal protective equipment
- All participants will be required to sign a physical copy of our Waiver prior to participating in Classes or Events.
- Minors will require a guardian's signature
All Classes are held at The Treeist Training Facility:
607 N Carolina Hwy 54 West
1/10 of a mile past the intersection of Hatch Rd and Hwy 54 in Chapel Hill.
Questions? Email David@TheTreeist.com for more information.